I wanted to document and share your journey with baby-led weaning. Our journey with starting solids basically. It was stressful for me in the beginning because I had no idea how to start and honestly too many resources at hand to the point it became overwhelming. I didn’t know what method to follow. Purees only, baby-led weaning only, or a combo feeding. Which way is the right way? Which is best for baby?
Why We Chose BLW
There are many reasons why I decided to go this way, however here are some of the top reasons.
- Convenience. Baby eats what we eat. We can all sit down together and enjoy mealtimes together. No additional food prep needed, other than omitting certain ingredients such as salt, spicy sauce, etc.
- Fun. BLW takes away the feeling that baby needs to eat a certain amount each day. You’re essentially offering baby healthy, appropriate solid foods, along with breastmilk or formula as the main source of nutrition. Solids are complementary until the age of one.
- Intuitive Eating. Baby learns to pay attention to feelings of hunger and fullness, and develops self-regulation with feeding
- Safely handles food by learning to chew and then swallow
- Manages different textures, shapes, sizes and tastes of food
- Learns fine motor skills (hand-eye coordination, pincer grasp
- It get’s baby but I love watching her eat!
Disclaimer: I am not a pediatrician and this post is not a substitute for medical advice. And keep in mind every baby’s journey with starting solids is so different. Following your baby’s cues is key!
Accessories and What We’re Currently Using
Here are the products I currently use on a day to day basis.
- EZPZ Silicone Mat
- Honeybear Straw Cups
- NumNum Pre-Spoon GOOutensils
- Bibado Bibs
- Babyganics Surface Wipes
I have been trying my best to follow the Solid Start recipes. Some days I just quickly throw leftovers or random food items together. Other days I try to get more creative and prepare ahead of time. Still looking for my groove.